Thursday, September 11, 2008

Week in Review #4

Because I have a little time this morning and am not sure if I will later, I think I will type my Week in Review a bit early.

Friday Day 11

Math -- dividing decimals
Logic unit -- MEP
Introductory Logic -- Supported Statements, ex 3
Latin -- Accusative Plural
Greek -- new vocabulary words
Read Aloud/Discussion -- Retelling of Don Quixote from CK5

Independent Reading

Aristotle -- underline main points
Dancing Horses of Acoma
He Went with Vasco de Gama

Notes:

Start noting WHAT we discuss
He liked the MEP Logic
He disliked underlining main points
(for little ones) -- make visual aids for me to work with their lesson plans

Little Ones:

Stories for Paddy included The Greedy Man in the Moon, Frog and Toad (he read little bits of it himself), Tintin
Reading lesson with Aidan -- he also constructed words with letter box, and spelled orally to me.
He also browsed through MCP Math A and we did a bit of counting and adding.


MOnday Day 12


YEar 7

Math -- logic puzzles
Review of Logic, Greek and Latin (focus on Latin)
Read Bible History, discussed
Handwriting (short copywork)
Discussed Aristotle
Geography quiz online (North America)

Year 1

Short lesson with Aidan
OT came
Paddy -- reading Lon Po Po, Mouse Stories, Paddiwak and Cozy

My background work:

I printed out some California Standards to see if I could use them for goal lists.


Tuesday Day 13

(Power was out for most of the day -- a scheduled outage)

Listening -- Book of Virtues, poetry from CK 5 (Jabberwocky, The Eagles)

Logic -- read and discussed first part of section 4
Greek
Math -- dividing and multiplying by magnitudes (10, 100, etc)
Logic/Math -- Venn Diagrams

Independent:
Started reading Boy Scientists
Read He Went with Vasco de Gama
Smoke Jumpers and Fire Fighters

Notes:
(Get audio tapes from library for our upcoming trip)
Request Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde from library

Other

Paddy is on a roll with crafts and he made "Pokeballs" out of paper, and I drew and cut out mythical figures from a Tallarico book for him to play with. His new thing is getting art project ideas from books we read.

I watched Wives and Daughters with Clare
Liam called and we talked about virtue and revelation
Geometry homework with Sean.


Wednesday -- Day 14

Listening
Tolstoy, HOw much Land does a Man Need? (Book of Virtues)
The Judgement of St Cecilia (drama, from Catholic National Reader #6)
Part of a poem (Terence, this is stupid stuff...) we didn't finish because Aidan had a meltdown.

MEP Math -- finished Logic section -- Kieron did not like the Venn diagrams so much as the tables.
Logic review, and ex 4 about relationships between statements
Greek -- new vocabulary.

Independent

He read The Princess and Curdie, and I gave him Puck of Pook's Hill
Division with decimals problems
Seward's Folly (about the Alaskan territory purchase)

Little Ones

Paddy did the Reading Rescue test -- he is just barely in Level 1 (made 3 mistakes but could read the selection pretty fluently).
I made a written list with Aidan -- he dictated and I guided his hand on the words. This seemed to be a good experience for him so we might try it again.

Today (Thursday, Day 16) I plan to continue much as we have done before. We're settling into a general routine -- listening to read alouds, then tutoring (I work with Kieron on Math, Greek, Latin, Logic etc) then independent study (usually reading with a couple of writing activities -- I'm trying to think of more actual writing things he can do on his own that aren't just worksheets).

The little ones' schedule isn't quite off the ground yet. I usually get in a phonics or writing or reading lesson, and Paddy is listening to a lot of different stories and often, as I mentioned, trying to devise his own related project.

Things that have been shortchanged are my afternoon project time and nature/outdoors time. As usual! What I shall probably have to do is start by doing these INSTEAD of either tutoring time or independent study time, until the habit is formed at least.

Next week I am going to go back to logging daily. I am not sure why, but I struggle with saving up the logs until the end of the week, even when I actually take notes day by day. It's more effective for me just to zip them off by the day.

We are up to Week 4 -- Day 16 -- already! And basically, more or less up to "full speed" with my YEar 7 student. Year 1 children can be considerably more informal in approach, but we are still doing enough so that I feel like I'm not neglecting their academics.

No comments:

Post a Comment