Thursday, June 26, 2008

Topic List for Year 1

It's so funny to go from a transcript form to a "themes for primaries" form. Definitely, that's life around here. The age span in our family is 17 years. ... almost a generation in time lapse.

This form is based on Hirsch's What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know.
There are Core Knowledge Lesson Plans online, including some unit studies. I look at them occasionally but usually find them too schooly and standards-based for our purposes.

I thought that if I took the book as an outline I could pull out my own resources throughout the course of the year. I notice that I like to do things my own way, so I don't much care for teacher's manuals or lesson plan resources, but I do usually like to have some overview that I can start with.

In this topic list (here is the pdf version), I didn't list out the specific stories and biographies and that kind of thing. I just wanted a basic overview.

You notice that science and history, for example, has categories of content, like "magnetism" and "Columbus". The Literature is based on categories, though, like "Fables" and "Sayings". Rather than having a "fable unit" per se at this age I would probably just weave fables throughout the year.

I do not think my 2 young students are ready for a full-blown Ambleside Year 1. I'm going to start planning it a bit since I really did want to try to use it, but right now I want to focus on the "preparatory" stage a bit more, and various habits so that when they get to that point some of the groundwork will be laid already. Details to follow, probably. It's something I've been thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment