Thursday, June 05, 2008

History 7 - US and World History

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do for History. There are several "strands" here:

  • Local Focus
  • General History
  • Biographies
  • Geography
  • Current Events
  • Civics
  • Living Books
  • Research Skills
General Objectives:

  • Learn key dates and why they are important.
  • Have a general mental outline of the world and particularly the United States.
  • Connect history to modern events
  • Focus on some time periods and geographic areas more intensely
  • Learn about the lives of some key people in history.
  • Increase civic understanding and participation.
  • Increase interest in literature connected with the time period.
  • Learn middle school level research skills.

I think I am going to have a 2-year course which is basically Age of Discovery - Modern Times. I want to have enough material available to go off on rabbit trails, while keeping it streamlined enough so that I have a sense of the objectives reached and so that there is some coherence in the study. Tall order, eh?

A PDF document with a US History timeline and some maps and standards

Here are a few more links:

Some Books:

Tentative Chronological Plan

  1. Age of Exploration
  2. Colonial Days
  3. Age of Revolution
  4. Early Days of the Nation
  5. Civil War
  6. Pioneers -- Geography and Technology
  7. World Wars
  8. Modern Times
I have started a very simple page breakdown for Makers of the Americas

Later I will add book lists, more details about what I want to cover, etc. I want to have a large amount of time to focus on California history and on the 20th century (I have Story of the World vol 4 and a Chronicle of the 20th Century for that).

This will get him ready for a high school level current affairs study.

No comments:

Post a Comment