Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Thinking about Second Half of Year

Trying to think about the homeschooling for the second part of the year ..... I don't have to REALLY think until after New Years' Day but I wanted to get started now.

With my Christmas $$$ I finally bought this book which has been on my wish list for a long time.

For some reason, multiple intelligences have been on my mind recently. Here they are in picture form:


They seem like they could be the framework for a curriculum....

Two possibilities for streamlining that were mentioned on the LCC list were:

Once a week scheduling -- math, Latin, and Progym daily, then other subjects by day -- Christian Studies, Classical studies, Literature Studies, and American Studies (also Science and Nature Study, I suppose).

Another idea is to move through these subjects in blocks or units. ....focus on Literature for a few weeks, then move onto History, etc. This seems to work if there is a specific outcome or product, like a notebook or lapbook, to be worked on. Hmmm.

Anyway, as usual, I'll probably start week 18 after this break as a skeleton.... that is, Morning Time and basic Math, Latin and language.... then work back up to a fuller schedule.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:26 AM

    I like the way you express things in such a "right-brained," visual way. It really clicks with me. I don't know whether it's because I've been hanging out with the visual-spatial thinkers in my family for so long, or because I'm a closet right-brainer myself. *LOL* I like your idea of focusing on a particular subject for several weeks. I am really stuck on planning for my 10-year-old son -- I'm going to consider that approach.

    Again, Happy New Year! Thanks for being a reliable source of thought-provoking ideas and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:27 PM

    Have you read Howard Gardner's "The Disciplined Mind"? He's the one who first put forth the theory of multiple intelligences, and "The Disciplined Mind" discusses educational philosophy and the implications of multiple intelligences. He suggests possibilities for curricula that would incorporate multiple intelligence theory. He uses a context of public school, but it's all adaptable to homeschooling. Good Stuff.

    [BTW, because you are perhaps wondering who on earth is commenting: I am a sometime homeschooling mother of two, who got here in a roundabout way through Clare's blogs via the Sense and Sensibility forum. My kids are both in public school this year, but I think one will be back at home again next year.]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charlotte, thanks for commenting! I'll look up The Disciplined Mind. I didn't know he had written a book, and that's just the kind of thing I love to find out about.

    ReplyDelete